The implications of the State Government’s decision about marine parks this week are still not known.
The State Government announced last Friday that after a two-day consultation with a small high-level group, agreement had been reached between conservation and fishing groups on the proposed sanctuary or no-take zones within the State’s 19 marine parks.
Environment Minister Paul Caica said while marine parks had widespread community support, the location and size of the sanctuary zones had proved contentious.
He said advice provided by the various Local Advisory Groups was used in the considerations.
Kangaroo Island’s recently formed Marine Action Group was scheduled to meet this week. Chairman Andy Gilfillan said the Minister’s announcement would be a topic of discussion. “We haven’t had time yet to go through all the detail but there seem to be some good things, such as recreational fishing allowed on all beaches and jetties.
“However, there are some strange things, like a reef system area nominated as a sanctuary by the Antechamber Bay Action group, which has now been made huge and will have an impact on fishing.”
Member for Finniss Michael Pengilly said there were still many unresolved issues.
He said draft boundaries needed to go out for consultation; the government had not completed the regional impact statements; management plans must be released; there is no agreement yet on compensation for lost fisheries and no budget for enforcement and management of marine parks.