Island's new animal policies more inclusive

Kangaroo Island is a unique and isolated environment and because of the quarantine laws which protect its borders there has been a change to the Island’s Dog and Cat Management Plan.

The new plan, which is now entitled the Kangaroo Island Council’s Animal Management Plan 2017-22, was passed at the latest council meeting and comes into effect immediately.

Changing the plan’s name brings in better protection for native wildlife and fauna as it deals with not only cats and dogs but other species such as bees, chickens, deer, goats and other livestock, birds and animals.

In general, all dogs and cats must be registered with the council at the age of three months.

As at July 1, 2018, both animals must be microchipped and also desexed unless there is intent for it to be used for breeding purposes, which must have a declaration to show that purpose. 

To report animal related matters, such as wandering dogs, to the council call 8553 4500, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Reports are recorded out of business hours and will be referred through escalation policies if it is a matter of urgency or priority.

Impounded animals will be displayed on the council office noticeboard at Dauncey Street, Kingscote, as well as being posted on the council’s website at

Public comment was sought on the draft plan in January, but no submissions or letters were received.

Animal disposal

At the meeting the council carried a motion on an animal disposal fee which would be based on a tiered system as there was no fee applicable at this time at the KIRRC.

Some options were discussed with the following disposal fee review passed

  • Small animal/livestock – such as dogs, cats, lambs, possums etc – $20 per animal;
  • Medium animal/livestock – such as sheep, alpaca, large dog, llama etc – $30 per animal;
  • Large animal/livestock – such as cow, horse etc – $50 per animal;
  • Bulk disposal of animals of any size – at cost.

The disposal fee will be reviewed annually as part of the council’s fees and charges.

The council’s development and environmental service manager will contact the Environmental Protection Agency in regards to any licencing amendments to provide the service.