A big, old D7 Caterpillar bulldozer that first came to Kangaroo Island in 1951 has rolled into Parndana Museum.
A small group of museum volunteers on Sunday, March 18 watched as the big D7 dozer rolled backwards into its new home.
Dianna McWhinnie was an excited participant as her husband Ken had once been the proud owner of the machine.
The historic piece of machinery had come to KI as part of the Soldier Settlement Scheme in 1951.
McWhinnie donated the D7 to the museum in 2017.
Willson Earthmovers transported the D7 to the museum from Karatta, as it previously was not running.
Andy Scott and Neville Sugars then worked on it and despite numerous problems, it was ready to roll.
A new shed had been built with support from the Kangaroo Island Council, History Trust SA and the Lions Club, various businesses and volunteers.
The few settlers watching held their breathe as the crank handle was turned, and turned and turned!
Eventually the 70-year-old D7 fired with a belch of smoke, so Mr Scott took the controls and expertly positioned it into the Ken McWhinnie Dozer Shed at the Parndana Museum.
The Parndana Museum thanks all involved.