WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT ARETHA FRANKLIN:
- "She helped us feel more connected to each other, more hopeful, more human. And sometimes she helped us just forget about everything else and dance." - Barack Obama and Michelle Obama, in a statement.
- "The most consistent voice in music for 60 years has been Aretha Franklin's voice... The world of music has lost a bit of its soul." - Jesse Jackson, in an Associated Press interview.
- "It's a sad day but what a glorious lady. Her voice says it all!" - Keith Richards, via Instagram.
- "The power of your voice in music and in civil rights blew open the door for me and so many others. You were my inspiration, my mentor and my friend." - Mariah Carey, via Twitter.
- "She is now in the pantheon of God's greats, in the bosom of family." - Whoopi Goldberg, via Twitter.
-"Her voice; her presence; her style
No one did it better
Truly the Queen of Soul
I will miss you!" - Lionel Richie, in a statement.
-"The loss of Aretha Franklin is a blow for everybody who loves real music: Music from the heart, the soul and the Church. - Elton John, via Instagram.
- "We have lost another legend from the civil rights era." - Dr. Bernice A. King, in a statement.
The Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, is dead. She was a great woman, with a wonderful gift from God, her voice. She will be missed!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 16, 2018
- "Let's all take a moment to give thanks for the beautiful life of Aretha Franklin, the Queen of our souls, who inspired us all for many, many years." - Paul McCartney, via Twitter.
Australian Associated Press