At least 17 people have died in a fire that broke out at a hotel in the heart of the Indian capital New Delhi, officials say.
The fire broke out early on Tuesday at the five-storey Hotel Arpit Palace in Karol Bagh, an area popular with budget tourists that has several hotels and markets.
A woman and a child, who were among the victims, were killed when they tried jumping from a window to escape the fire.
News reports said there were about 150 people asleep in the 65-room hotel when the blaze broke out.
"A total of 17 people have died and two are injured, still at hospitals," said senior fire services official Vipin Kental, who added that the blaze had been brought under control.
Fire services personnel rescued 35 people from the hotel.
"The fire broke out from the top floors, likely due to an electric short-circuit. Since it was early morning, most of the victims were sleeping and died due to suffocation," Kental said.
Mobile phone videos recorded by witnesses showed huge flames on the terrace of the building. A person was seen dangling from the terrace and then jumping off.
Kental said the hotel was operating a restaurant from the top floor with inflammable fibre-glass sheets, that violated fire safety norms.
Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain said there would be strict actions against those responsible for the incident and ordered a probe.
"Magistrate enquiry ordered. Visible violations of building by laws, building constructed six storeys including one temporary floor instead of permissible 4 floors. Ordered fire inspection of buildings in the area," Jain tweeted.
Deadly fires are common in India and are often made worse by poor safety measures and a lack of fire escapes.
The fires are often caused by substandard or ageing electrical material.
In December, a major fire at a government-run hospital in Mumbai killed 10 people and injured over 130 others.
Officials said the hospital had not complied with regulations in a recent fire safety audit.
Australian Associated Press