Over 70 people attended workshops across the Island recently to get an update on the closure of the role of Commissioner for Kangaroo Island and discuss issues which are affecting communities.
Held in Penneshaw, Kingscote, Parndana and American River, the workshops were conducted jointly with Primary Industries and Regions SA , KI NRM, Department for Environment and Water and Department of Trade, Tourism and Investment providing presentations.
Commissioner Wendy Campana said she wanted to set the record straight about the future of the role.
"Regional workshops were offered across the Island to put to bed some ongoing rumours about my role beyond 1 July and that of Jen's (staff member) and to give an update to the community on where we have been, issues that are still ongoing and to identify unfinished business and ongoing needs" Ms Campana said.
Priorities and issues which have been raised at the workshops include
- Costs of ferry and infrastructure upgrades;
- Road maintenance and upgrades;
- Plans after the cessation of the Commissioner's office;
- Workforce planning and skills needs/gaps;
- Provision of affordable housing for aged, youth and young families;
- Telecommunications - instability/capacity on the island for mobile coverage and internet;
- Tourism development and promotion;
- Other issues - support for emergency services, drug and alcohol support and weed control.
There will be another two workshops conducted over the coming weeks.