KIFL Round 17 - Wisanger beat ladder leader Western Districts | PHOTOS

Wisanger's chase for the double chance have remained alive, after an upset 38-point win over ladder leaders Western Districts on Saturday.

Wisanger had first use of the two-goal breeze kicking to the southern end, and were quick to get the first major on board after an uncharacteristic mistake from Fogden.

Wonks had the majority of the ball after this, and used the ball around the boundary to perfection scoring their first for the afternoon. Fogden more than made up for his earlier blue, stopping a lot of forays forward for Wisanger, who rushed their kicks a bit.

Despite missing a couple of major ball getters, Boulden and Florance were doing the job in the centre for the home side

Florance's brilliant pressure moved Wonks in front for the first time early in the second. The conditions worsened as the change hit, the home side up by 5 points at the major break.

Wisanger really got going in the third, although early on it looked as if the Wonks defence would turn the game into a scrap.

A nice set shot from Snowball broke the shackles for the blues as their ball winners started getting on top. Hodge took some nice grabs up forward, Tyley got plenty of the ball while Hutchins and Bott made their mark felt as well.

A. Hilder and Williams providing plenty of rebound from defence, while Mason got into the game as well with a couple of majors for the quarter.

The Panthers certainly had their tails up, and this quarter was arguably their best for the year scoring 8.4, while keeping Wonks to one rushed point.

The last was a non-event, with the game effectively done and dusted. Florance kicked the first, and Weatherspoon kept fighting for the home team putting some respectability on the scoreboard but this day was clearly Wisanger's.

The situation: This result makes both games this week all the more intriguing. The panthers should go into this week's showdown with Kingscote full of confidence after their convincing win out west.

The winner of this game will be in the box seat for the double chance. Wonks have the bye but should have enough percentage on board to finish top, while Parndana will be looking for a big win over Dudley. Whatever the result, the finals this year are shaping up to be some of the intriguing for quite some time. - Ball Magnet

Kingscote captain Dan Florance is stretchered off with a serious leg injury. Photo by Stan Gorton

Kingscote captain Dan Florance is stretchered off with a serious leg injury. Photo by Stan Gorton

Kingscote report

With both teams down a few regulars, the spectators were treated with a contest showing lots of effort.

Kingscote began with some quick goals through good team work and use of the footy. Dudley had to work a lot harder to move the ball forward in response.

The loss of coach Dan Florance through a serious leg injury put a dampener in the crowd, but Kingscote led at quarter time 8-2 to DU 1-1.

Clayton Willson then put in a great quarter for Dudley with an accurate snap shot and another long shot for goal, which gave the team and their supporters a lot of enjoyment.

Three quick goals to Kingscote later in the quarter took a lot of this away, with the half time score reading K 11-4 to DU 4-2.

A quick goal to Dudley saw Kingscote respond with a series of attacks, moving steadily ahead. This continued through the quarter, although Dudley were able to mount several attacking moves and make their score respectable. 3/4 time K 16-8 DU 7-4

The last quarter showed continued effort from both teams, although the overall better use of the footy saw Kingscote making the scoreboard tick over regularly.

Dudley, for less often in attack, kept at it and were not disgraced in terms of their effort. The umpires to deserve a mention for their imaginative display. Final scores Kingscote 20-11 to Dudley 8-4. - P. Brauer