The federal government has implemented less than half the recommendations made by the child abuse royal commission two years ago.
A progress report released on Friday showed it was still working the majority of the 122 proposals put to it by the commission.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison said while the government had made progress, there was still work to do.
As of September, out of the 122 recommendations, 81 were in progress, two had not commenced and 39 had been implemented.
The government said work to meet the recommendations would continue into next year and beyond.
This included formulating a national strategy to prevent child sex abuse, improving data collected on child protection and an online safety program for younger Australians.
A national Working With Children Check (WWCC) system continued to face delays, with all states and territories expected to come online at some point in 2020.
The government also continued to urge institutions responsible for abuse to sign up to the national redress scheme, with the cut-off date for institutions to join being June next year.
The report said the number of redress applications on hold had dropped from 53 per cent in November 2018 to 14.6 per cent in September 2019, thanks to more institutions signing on.
A program to help Australian Federal Police investigate child sexual abuse was still being designed and could take as long as 2021 to deliver.
Defence was set to deliver new child safety frameworks in February, while Sports Australia was also pipped to deliver new frameworks next year.
Australian Associated Press