Two men with bikie links will spend at least four months in custody, charged with the execution-style, pre-planned murder of Melbourne fruiterer Paul Virgona.
Josh Rider, 29, and Aaron Ong, 34, are accused of opening fire on the 46-year-old as he drove to work on the Eastern Freeway at Donvale on November 9.
They did not apply for bail when they faced Melbourne Magistrates Court hours after being arrested during dawn raids on 12 properties linked to the Mongols bikie gang on Wednesday, including their Port Melbourne and Ferntree Gully clubhouses.
Rider and Ong are due to face court again for a committal mention via video link on May 27.
Police still don't have a motive for Mr Virgona's killing and say he wasn't linked with Rider, Ong or the Mongols.
"There is nothing is his background that would suggest that anything he or his family have done has been part of the reason why he's been a victim of this heinous crime," Crime Command Assistant Commissioner Tess Walsh told reporters.
Documents released by the court allege the murder involved considerable pre-planning, with Rider and Ong accused of firing at Mr Virgona's van 11 times.
The semi-automatic handgun still hasn't been found.
Two stolen cars were used in the attack, one put in place beforehand as a getaway car and the other later found out at Mooroolbark.
A third man, aged 30 from Tecoma, arrested alongside Rider and Ong, has been charged with drug possession and will appear at Ringwood Magistrates Court on May 7.
A 30-year-old Montrose man has been released pending further inquiries.
Properties raided over the shooting included a South Melbourne tattoo parlour co-owned by ex-bikie Toby Mitchell and former Richmond AFL player Jake King.
King was seen speaking to police but neither he nor Mitchell is accused of any wrongdoing.
Police said searches of the raided properties will be ongoing but they have already seized six guns, including handguns and long-arm firearms, a boat and "powders believed to be drugs".
At a press conference earlier in January, Mr Virgona's son Luca spoke of the impact his father's death had on his family.
"My greatest role model in life is now gone and we are left to pick up the pieces of our broken family," the 17-year-old said.
"The death of my father has left us all distraught and will forever do so, as this is a life sentence."
Australian Associated Press