Farm fire unit operators on Kangaroo Island have received bushfire safety kits thanks to the efforts of Sabrina Davis and her "Humans of Kangaroo Island" project.
The kits include items such as fire proof clothing, gloves, goggles and respirators.
The project has generated an amazing $51,492 to help safeguard the brave and determined farmers and property owners who battle wildfires with little more than a water tank and pump mounted on their utility vehicles.
Sabrina and her helpers handed out 117 kits at the CFS farm fire unit registration day at Parndana Oval on Sunday, December 6.
She still has more kits available and funds keep coming via "Humans of Kangaroo Island" project.
"We have handed out 117 kits today and still have some available. These excess kits are mostly size 2XL and 3XL, so please get in touch if you need one," she said.
Among those picking up kits was mayor Michael Pengilly, who mans his own farm fire unit.
"Great initiative by Sabrina Davis and her team at Parndana today with the farm fire units. Very well done," he said.
Please also keep your eye out for Sabrina posting a discount code for the Flame Buster range on social media for those who want to purchase their own gear directly to include into their bushfire kit.
Sabrina, who lost her own house and farm to the Ravine fire on January 3, hopes everyone will be safe this summer and she urges everyone to have a plan in place.
"It takes five minutes to write a bushfire emergency plan, so prepare and be organised. There are templates on the CFS website that will be very helpful to get started on this. This saves lives," she said.
She also thanked her long list of sponsors.
"Thank you to all the wonderful people, on and off the Island, who donated through our online fundraiser," Sabrina said.
"A special mention to The Hospital Research Foundation for offering to hold a fundraising account for me and their endless support throughout November."
Sabrina was excited to learn this week that the foundation was so impressed with her fundraising and work to increase safety that it donated an additional $20,000.
"The Hospital Research Foundation Group is proud to support Sabrina Davis' Humans of Kangaroo Island project with a $20,000 donation for the frontline farm firefighting units of Kangaroo Island ahead of the 2020/21 fire season," said Paul Flynn, CEO of the Hospital Research Foundation.
"The terrible tragedy of the last fire season is still with us all as South Australians. The Hospital Research Foundation is proud to support this vital initiative as part of its broader response to assist our fire affected communities. Together we are fighting for a safer fire season for all on Kangaroo Island."
The foundation donation comes on top of the $14,000 donated by Rotary groups and many other business and individual donations.
She also thanked the most important person, her husband Ben, who of course got safety pack No.1.
"Thank you to my husband for his firefighting efforts every summer, he was the main reason I came up with this idea," she said.
"I wanted to make sure he is well equipped and safe out there again this summer and for many to come.
"A thank-you to the beautiful Humans of Kangaroo Island who fought the fires last year and were very happy to share their stories with us.
"These farm fire units are the guys and girls I started this initiative for and without their stories I wouldn't have been able to get the attention for the fundraiser.
"Big thanks to all my quiet helpers in the background and especially to Cathy Tydeman from the Recovery Office for her endless hours and words of support."
This is the project's list of sponsors:
- RAWCS - Rotary Australia World Community Service - Thank you Bill Wash, Jerry & Team
- Smartbar ARB - Thank you Kevin, Adam and Team
- Flame Buster - NCC Apparel gave us a large discount to purchase this wonderful brand of fire-proof jackets and pants
- The Island Beehive - Thanks for a large cash donation
- Kangaroo Island Outdoor Action - Thanks to Brenton for a large cash donation and winning the auction of a farm firefighter at the Parndana Show and your encouraging support all the way
- Rotary Club of Edwardstown - thank-you for funding all the goggles
- Elders Kingscote - thank you for funding all the gloves
- Home Timber & Hardware - Julie has been amazing as always
- Nutrien Ag Solutions
- Ouwens Casserly Real Estate
- Ramsey Bros
- Little Sahara Adventure Centre
- Ouwens Lawyers
- Country Women's Association
- Big Quince Print - thank you Alice, you are a gem!
- Gumnut Creations - for raising funds at the Parndana Show and donating them
- Simply Bea - for raising funds at the Parndana Show and donating them
- Strong-Law Management Services - thank you Sarah for helping with all my logo and creative arts needs