NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance is jumping ship,announcing Sunday he will quit state politics to run for the federal NSW South Coast seat of Gilmore.
Mr Constance, a Liberal moderate, will resign as Transport and Roads Minister this week, and as the Member for Bega by the end of the year.
It's confirmation he's not interested in the scrap for the NSW Liberal leadership, after Gladys Berejiklian's sensational resignation on Friday due to an investigation by the corruption watchdog ICAC.
"Like so many of us, I am heartbroken for my long-time friend Gladys Berejiklian," he said in a statement.
In today's COVID number, the ACT recorded 38 cases; NSW experienced a significant drop in cases at 667, but reported 10 deaths; Victoria had 1220 cases and three deaths; while both Queensland and South Australia had no new cases.
The NRL grand final between the Penrith Panthers and South Sydney Rabbitohs will kick off on schedule in Brisbane, with Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk saying she'll go along to the big game herself so long as no other obligations arise.
The National Breast Cancer Foundation has warned that there could could be between 1300 and 2600 missed or undiagnosed breast cancer cases as a result of delays in diagnosis and treatment caused by the pandemic.
Victorian intensive care nurses urged the state's residents to get vaccinated, saying they had experienced hospitalised people begging for vaccinations once it was too late.
And in international headlines, London police officers continue to try to regain the trust of English women after the murder of Sarah Everard by a serving officer, while Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte announced he is stepping away from politics.
Did you know you can receive this daily digest by email? Sign up here
- Double tragedy prompts push to legalise euthanasia bill
- Regulator says psychedelic drugs show potential
- NSW daily cases down to 667 as cases climb in regions
- Intensive care nurses urge vaccinations in Victoria as it records 1220 cases
- Qld records no virus cases, NRL GF a goer
- Call for public's help after six-year-old boy dies in crash
- Cultural burns better as region 'reckons' with climate change
- Happy parenting guide made free to help ease pandemic stress