WATCH

Eight more COVID-19 deaths, new cases drop for third day in Victoria

Victoria has recorded 1466 new coronavirus cases since Monday in a third straight day of declines.

New case numbers have been falling since the record 1965 tallied during Friday testing.

Despite that, there were eight deaths.

Monday also bought 68,509 test results to Victorians as well as 36,383 vaccinations being administered.

Victoria's active coronavirus case tally now sits at 19,627.

Today's cases are down from yesterday's 1466 cases, 1890 new cases on Sunday and 1965 cases on Saturday.

More information about the new cases is expected to be released later today.

Contact tracers added a raft of new tier one exposure sites across the Bendigo area overnight including in central Bendigo and Maiden Gully.

READ MORE:

There have been no new exposure sites listed in Ballarat since Sunday, when two Sturt Street venues became tier one sites.

Picture: SHUTTERSTOCK

Picture: SHUTTERSTOCK

Meanwhile, older Victorians who have held back on getting the AstraZeneca jab can now access Pfizer and Moderna as the state races to re-open.

Health Minister Martin Foley said there was now enough vaccine supply in Victoria to open all brands to every age group eligible for inoculation.

"This change, which is now in effect, has been made possible by the relative certainty we now have for both Moderna and Pfizer, and the extraordinary number of young people who have come forward over the past three and a half weeks," he told reporters on Monday.

Previously people over 60 were only able to receive the AstraZeneca vaccine at state hubs.

- with Australian Associated Press

This story Victoria records eight COVID-19 deaths and 1466 cases first appeared on Bendigo Advertiser.