Search for William Tyrrell to stretch beyond three weeks

The search for missing boy William Tyrrell has stretched into its third week. Photo: Ruby Pascoe
The search for missing boy William Tyrrell has stretched into its third week. Photo: Ruby Pascoe

OVER 30 items have been unearthed during the search for missing boy William Tyrrell at Kendall in northern NSW over the past three weeks.

All of the items found have been photographed, bagged and sent to be forensically examined. It is not yet known whether any of the items are of significance to the case.

These items found at the Cobb and Co/Batar Creek Rd search site include a number of pieces of string and fabric, plastic bags and a hessian bag.

Bones have also been found, however these are believed to be from an animal and not linked to the case.

READ MORE:

A replica gun was also discovered on Tuesday (November 30). The gun was found in cleared bushland along Batar Creek Rd and is not believed to be linked to William's case.

"Initial inquiries suggest the item located within the search grounds at Kendall is a replica pistol and not related to Strike Force Rosann inquiries," NSW Police said in a statement.

"Like any item found within the search area, it will be sent for further examination."

The findings from the search will be delivered to the Coroner.

The findings of the colonial inquest into William's disappearance seven years ago are expected to be handed down next year.

NSW Police State Crime Commander, Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith, spoke to Sydney Radio 2GB and gave an insight into how the search is unfolding.

"We continue to work with consultant experts including an archaeologist, a forensic anthropologist and a hydrologist to get us to a position to satisfy ourselves that sediment layer and bushland growth over the past seven years (has been searched)," he said.

"There are sifting activities that occur at the site. Anything found in these areas is then processed through Newcastle and then it's sent to the Forensic and Analytical Science Service in Sydney.

"They are working around the clock to process anything that comes from the scene."

The search was originally expected to last two to three weeks, however it has now been extended.

"The weather has been a difficulty," Mr Smith said.

"In terms of the search areas, they were meticulously planned operationally.

"We are operating under a Coronial order that set some tasks and set search areas."

The search site, around one kilometre from William's late foster grandmother's home on Benaroon Drive, has been expanded to the opposite side of Batar Creek Rd.

The search is expected to last six weeks.

"The difficulty is getting ourselves back to seven years ago to make sure that we don't miss anything," Mr Smith said.

For our full coverage of the search so far, read more:

Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:

This story Search for William Tyrrell to stretch beyond three weeks first appeared on Port Macquarie News.